15 May, 2011

-self concept-

A while ago I was reading about self concept and I was pretty amazed with some of the factors and the theories explained there. No doubt I am a person who fall in the line between having positive self concept and negative self concept.

Before I move on, what is meant by self concept? Self concept is the confidence in and satisfaction with oneself. In simple words its about how someone thinks and evaluates / perceives their selves.

The most important thing everyone should know is self concept is the important factor which influences a person on determining;
-Who you are
-What you think you are
-What can you become

So, it is not impossible to say that self concept affect of life on how we behave and become in future. Say for instance a boy have a high self concept, this automatically leads the boy to have confidence in himself and ultimately pushes his ability and become successful in whatever he does. And at the same time, if a boy with a low self concept does the same thing, he most probably have very much lack confidence in himself and thus leading him to failure as he did not put his heart and soul in it.

Have you heard of the self concept circle? It is kind of amazing actually..
There are 3 levels to it..
1. The person I think I am
2. The person others think I am
3. The person other think I think I am

Can you link this to yourself? Have you ever thought about all these questions? As a matter of fact I had. Numerous number of times. To tell you the truth here, I have a problem in overcoming, on how i always think on myself. How the social thinks of me comes the primary factor in my life. This is very wrong, in my opinion, we should do what we want. I should have confidence in myself. Take for example, a simple public speaking, I would really love to join, ever since secondary school but my self esteem pulls me down. I feel inferior if I will screw it up or how will other perceive of me? Especially I am afraid of losing! That should never be in me! Failure is the stepping stone of success and I should never be afraid to fail. We learn from our mistake.

So right now, learning these stuff not only helps me as a teacher in future but also develops myself as an individual. Change is the start of something new and its never too late for a change in my life. :) :)

No comments: